Finally, as a harbinger for the great feats of engineering that were to be performed at the Old and New Passages in the second half of the twentieth century, mention must be made of the scheme recommended by consultants, Mott, Hay and Anderson to Gloucestershire County Council in 1934. It happened at a time when the country was recovering from the impact of the Great Depression, with pressure on highway authorities mounting from pressure groups seeking action to deal with the ever-increasing number of vehicles on the nation’s roads. The situation was particularly acute for long distance journeys and the County Councils, who at that time were the highway authorities responsible for major roads, were right in the firing line.
Gloucestershire’s consultants had initially favoured provision of a high level suspension bridge on the Aust-Beachley line, with a 3,000 feet (950 m) span and a conventional truss deck (essentially the same as the initial proposals for the Severn Bridge that were brought forward again in the 1950s). But Monmouthshire County Council had then joined Gloucestershire Council and, together, they decided to promote a scheme three miles downstream from the consultants’ first suggestion. This scheme, across the English Stones, would have been virtually identical to the Second Severn Crossing, except that it had a suspension bridge with a 900 foot (275 m) span, as its centrepiece across the Shoots channel, rather than the modern cable stayed bridge with a span of 456 m. Also, the spans of the viaduct sections on either side of the central bridge would have been shorter than those on the existing structure.
The two councils launched a Parliamentary Bill to obtain the necessary powers to build this second scheme, assuming that they would be able to persuade the Ministry of Transport to meet 75% of the costs. However, the Great Western Railway opposed the scheme in Parliament, ostensibly on the grounds of potential damage to the Severn Tunnel and, in 1936 a Select Committee of the House of Commons rejected the bill. By that time, the national debate about the management of the major road system was coming to a head and the two County Councils decided to take no further action on a lower estuary crossing until those issues were resolved.
The government was under strong pressure to change the existing system, with strong evidence from other countries of the benefits to be gained from the construction of high speed inter-regional roads, under central direction. Recognising that the County Councils could not be expected to bear the burden of financing a new national highway system, the Ministry of Transport concluded that a Trunk Road Network should be created and that it should be administered, financed and maintained by Central Government. This change was enacted through the passage on to the Statute Book of the Trunk Roads Act, 1936. The defined network included a Severn Crossing and an improved A48 road along the South Wales coast. However before any significant progress could be made, the Second World War intervened.
Gloucester County Council started lobbying again, for a road crossing of the estuary, as early as 1943. A long span, high level option on the Aust-Beachley linenow was now favoured. In 1945, the Ministry of Transport appointed Mott, Hay and Anderson to prepare a scheme based on this route. The government published a National Plan in 1946 and this included a crossing on the Aust-Beachley-Newhouse line, together with a high-speed road link from the crossing at Beachley to the A48 at Tredegar Park, west of Newport. And in July 1947, the route of the road was fixed by an Order, made in accordance with the Trunk Roads Act, 1936.